21 May, 2021
barnaclínic+ continues to support the research work of nursing professionals of the Hospital Clínic
On May 12, as usual, the Hospital Clínic held an act to commemorate International Nurses Day. On this occasion, and due to the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was broadcasted via streaming through its YouTube channel. This act served to publicise the different projects that have received an Intensification Grant, which are financed by barnaclínic+.
It is an initiative of the Directorate of Nursing of the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona, which aims to improve the care activity of the centre by training and promoting the research of nursing professionals. It lasts between 3 and 6 months and it is awarded to a group of professionals who are selected following a series of criteria. These scholarships were launched in 2016 and since then they have been a success, which is why barnaclínc+ continues to bet on them.
Five research projects selected
In this year’s edition, five projects have been selected for these Intensification Grants. These have been:
- Mireia Pascual, from the Instituto Clínic de Ginecología, Obstetricia y Neonatología (ICGON), will develop a study that will evaluate the impact of a program to support and promote breastfeeding to improve the health of premature infants, and that will last 12 months.
- Jessica Ana Cruz, from the Instituto Clínic Cardiovascular (ICCV), will carry out a three-month feasibility and safety study of transcutaneous electrical stimulation of the phrenic nerve in patients with orotracheal intubation and under controlled invasive mechanical ventilation.
- Gemma Marcos, from the Instituto Clínic de Especialidades Médicas y Quirúrgicas (ICEMEQ), whose study aims to verify the effectiveness of an educational intervention with the support of a mobile application to improve the pharmacological knowledge, adherence and mental health of patients with femur fractures and chronic pain. The scholarship will last for 3 months.
- Anna Ballesteros, from the Instituto Clínic de Neurosciencias (ICN), for her mutual support project or Peer Support in mental health: a mutual aid group for adolescents from the Day Hospital for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology. The scholarship, in this case, will be for 6 months.
- Ana María Díaz, from the Instituto Clínic Cardiovascular (ICCV), for a mirror therapy research project in the rehabilitation of patients with phantom limb pain and complex regional pain syndrome, which will take place over 4 months.
The importance of nursing staff
This past year has undoubtedly been marked by the COVID-19 pandemic. They have been a very complicated few months that have highlighted the importance and importance of health professionals. Among them, of course, the nursing staff. The Grupo Hospital Clínic has almost 2,000 nurses, with an accumulated experience of more than 27,000 years. The profile is that of a woman (86.7%) with an average age of 40 years.
Although their care work is the one that can have the most visibility, it should not be overlooked that nurses also do important research activity. Proof of this are the 135 projects in the field of nursing carried out during the year 2020 or the more than 200 publications and the 157 panelists and speeches at congresses in that same period.
This is precisely why these barnaclinic+ Intensification Grants have been created; to promote this work and help the nursing staff deepen their research activity.
The faces of the nursing staff
This year, the Hospital Clínic Group also wanted to give greater recognition on International Nurses Day. For this reason, a series of nurse portraits have been made in which nurses from the Clínic have explained the reasons, motivations and emotions that lead them to enjoy their profession.