The Nuclear Medicine Department of Hospital Clínic de Barcelona is part of the Centro de Diagnóstico por la Imagen Clínic (CDIC) together with the Radiodiagnostics Department. This association favors a greater clinical efficacy of different imaging exams.
The Nuclear Medicine department has all the necessary technology to carry out all the required diagnostic exams and therapeutic applications of this specialty, including:
- Scans of the various organs and systems: bone, kidneys, lungs, thyroids, etc.
- SPECT and SPECT-CT CT scans to assess brain perfusion (detection of epileptic focus, dementia), neurotransmission (Parkinson's disease, dementia), myocardial perfusion (ischemic heart disease study), and bone and oncological diseases.
- Scintigraphic detection of the sentinel lymph node in different neoplasms such as breast cancer, melanoma, vulval cancer, cervical cancer, etc.
- In vivo isotope lab tests for the determination of functional parameters such as glomerular filtration rate, renal plasma flow, red blood cell half-life, etc.
- Radionuclide treatment of different diseases such as hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer, polycythemia vera, etc.
- Positron emission tomography (PET-CT) studies, the most innovative technology in the field of Nuclear Medicine, used primarily for detecting tumor tissue in cancer patients.
Although all the medical professionals are fully trained to carry out any of the techniques mentioned above, each of them is an expert in a specific area in which he/she works not only in the field of health care but also in the field of research, ensuring greater clinical efficacy.