Dra. Amelia J. Hessheimer
Originally from the United States, Dr. Hessheimer completed degrees in Chemistry at Texas A&M University (B.S., Summa Cum Laude, 2003) and Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee (M.D., 2009). She completed the Master in Research in Liver Disease and subsequently presented her Doctoral Thesis on the characterization and prevention of "small-for-size" syndrome in a porcine model of partial liver transplantation at the Universitat de Barcelona in 2011.
Dr. Hessheimer initiated training in General Surgery at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Washington University Medical Center, in St. Louis, Missouri, and completed her Residency in General & Digestive Surgery at the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona. Currently, her clinical work is focused on liver transplantation, in particular using grafts arising through the donation after circulatory death (DCD) process, and hepatobiliary surgery and the application of minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Dr. Hessheimer has been actively involved in experimental and clinical liver transplant research for over 15 years. She works on porcine models of "small-for-size" and DCD liver transplantation as well as extreme hepatic surgery. She is the author of >45 publications in peer-reviewed journals and >10 book chapters. She has presented her work at >50 national and international meetings. Dr. Hessheimer has also received several research awards, including the 2011 and 2014 Young Investigator Awards and the 2018 Rising Star Award from the International Liver Transplantation Society (ILTS), the 2012 and 2020 Awards from the Catalan Transplant Foundation (Fundació Catalana de Trasplantament, FCT) for best published article in the field of transplantation, and the 2012 and 2020 National Surgery Awards from the Spanish Association of Surgeons (Asociación Española de Cirujanos, AEC). Dr. Hessheimer is a Fellow of the European Board of Transplant Surgery since 2019.
· Specialist in Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery & Transplantation, Hospital Clínic de Barcelona and barnaclínic+
· Clinical Professor, Universitat de Barcelona
Languages spoken: Spanish | English
Seleccione el servicio que desea:
· Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, US
· Doctor of Medicine, Vanderbilt Medical School, Nashville, TN, USA
· Doctorate in Medicine & Surgery, Universitat de Barcelona
· General Surgery Internship, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, USA
· More than 11 years of experience
· More than 150 surgeries per year
· Publications (national and international): 45
· Book chapters: 11
· Scientific meetings (national and international): More than 50