The prenatal stage is the most critical moment in a person's life. Some of the diseases suffered by children and adults have fetal origins. Complications during pregnancy are fortunately uncommon but when they do occur, a very high level of knowledge is needed to be able to suitably diagnose and, if necessary, treat the problem.
Fetal Medicine is a very broad field that covers the comprehensive health care needs of families with fetal problems, from prenatal diagnosis to psychological support for the parents. Health care is provided for the entire pregnancy and includes both the fetus and the first few years of life when problems due to a fetal disease can be identified and treated to offer a better quality of life. Fetal medicine combines excellence and advanced medical technology due to the difficulty of diagnosing such a small patient with such limited access, even after birth.
Barnaclínic's Centro Clínic de Medicina Fetal (Fetal Medicine Clinic Center) employs professionals with one of the highest levels of specialization and experience in the world who are pioneers in fetal medicine and surgery. It employs a comprehensive team of medical staff to take care of the fetus as a patient, like in any other medical specialty. This allows us to have a very high detection rate of birth defects with fetal treatments that are only available at a few centers around the world. As part of our comprehensive health care, we offer experience and specific tests to monitor possible post-natal problems, including child and parent psychological care.
Our services include:
- Counseling and second opinions for current or prior pregnancies. Advice and risk assessment for future pregnancies.
- High-definition fetal ultrasound, including neurosonography, echocardiography and 3D/4D ultrasound.
- Fetal magnetic resonance imaging.
- Prenatal diagnostic techniques, including non-invasive chromosomal abnormality screening, amniocentesis and chorion villus biopsy techniques.
- Fetal treatment. The center offers every available fetal medical and surgical treatment for conditions such as discordant twin problems, twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome, fetal anemia, congenital diaphragmatic hernia, urinary obstruction and others.
- Post-natal check-up: evaluation and early intervention in neurodevelopmental problems, family group support, perinatal mourning support.
- Dr Eduard Gratacós (Management), Fetal Medicine.
- Dr Josep Mª Martínez, Fetal Medicine.
- Dr Olga Gómez, Fetal Medicine.
- Mrs. Maria Marí, Fetal Medicine Nurse Coordinator.
- Mrs. Àngela Arranz, Midwife and Post-natal Nurse Coordinator.
- Mrs. Marta Ros, Post-natal Neuropsychology.
- Dr Francesc Botet, Neurodevelopmental Pediatrics.
- Dr Aurora Sánchez, Clinical Genetics.
september 19th, 2013
Assisted Reproductive Technologies are associated with an increased cardiovascular risk in childhood
March 13th, 2013
Inatal, all the information about pregnancy in a click