The obstetrics and gynecology department at Hospital Clínic is part of the Institut Clinic de Ginecologia, Obstetricia i Neonatología (ICGON) which provides the Gynecology, Maternal-Fetal Medicine (the fetus is also considered a patient so the necessary resources have been optimized to ensure adequate prophylaxis, diagnosis and treatment of possible disorders) and Neonatology Departments.
This division of the various specialties favors the specialization of the different professionals at the institute so that patients can be offered the most advanced techniques for the prevention and treatment of any disorder suffered by our patients or their newborns. As a result, the Gynecology and Maternal-Fetal Medicine Departments of ICGON have been awarded the Best Obstetrics and Gynecology Service in Spain Award at the last two editions of the Best in Class Awards.
Gynecology is one of the oldest medical specialty areas.
Gynecology literally means the science of women but, together with obstetrics, it is currently considered a specialty that is broader and more varied in content which covers:
- Physiological and pathological processes related to human reproduction
- Physiology of pregnancy, labor and puerperium and pathological deviations
- Physiology and pathology inherent to organs of the female reproductive system, including the breasts
- Preventive, mental and social aspects that are definitely related to the previous points, including some psychiatric and sexological aspects and basic primary care knowledge.
The Gynecology Department of ICGON is particularly considered a point of referral for the prevention and treatment of the following gynecological diseases:
- Gynecological cancer
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Sterility and fertility
The Gynecology Department is also able to offer the most advanced surgical techniques so that both hysterectomies for benign processes and more radical gynecological surgery in the event of malignant processes can be performed using minimally-invasive techniques, meeting the same objectives as traditional surgery, with an added benefit for patients as this leads to a faster post-operative recovery and a shorter hospital stay for patients.
- Eduardo Bataller Sánchez
- Joan Josep Beltran García
- F. Xavier Caparrós Algarra
- Mª Montserrat Cardona Aparici
- Francisco Carmona Herrera
- Pere Fuste Brull
- Isabel Gracia Sánchez
- Eduard Gratacós
- Ricard Navarro Ripoll
- Roser Nonell Marrugat
- Jaume Pahisa Fabregás
- Lara Quintas Marquès
- Lucio Ratto
- Mª Irene Teixido Ribaudi
- Aureli Torné Bladé