The Plastic Surgery Department of Hospital Clínic de Barcelona, with more than 80 years of history, brings together the knowledge and skills of a team of highly experienced and prestigious professionals and a hospital structure equipped with the most advanced technology necessary to perform the most complicated surgical procedures.
The knowledge and skills of these professionals is supported by the intense research activity that they undertake, especially in the field of fat metabolism and physiology, facial alterations and cosmetic breast surgery, with research projects funded by major institutions.
Major fields included within the scope of Plastic Surgery at Hospital Clínic are:
- cosmetic surgery
- head, face and neck reconstructive surgery
- breast reconstruction
- reconstructive microsurgery
- vascular microsurgery
The word 'plastic' is derived from the Greek word 'plastikos' which means to mold or give form. Therefore, the function of Plastic Surgery is to surgically correct any congenital, acquired, tumoral or simply involutional process that requires repair or repositioning of superficial structures affecting body shape and function. Treatment is based on transplanting and moving tissues, using grafts, reshaping techniques and implants made of inert materials.
From a practical point of view, plastic surgery has been divided into two fields of action: firstly, reconstructive surgery, which includes microsurgery and focuses on masking and reconstructing the destructive effects of an accident or trauma, birth defects and tumor or oncological resection defects and secondly, cosmetic surgery, which is performed to modify parts of the body that the patient is not happy with. In many cases, there may be medical reasons.
Plastic surgeons work with physicians from other specialties (dermatologists, ENT specialists, gynecologists, maxillofacial surgeons, etc.) to offer complete medical care for their patients' reconstruction needs to ensure an adequate aesthetic result.
Here at barnaclínic+ we offer the following services:
- reconstructive surgery (conventional and microsurgery):
- Skin cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Nose, mouth, jaw, maxillary and throat cancer
- Trauma to the face, legs and arms (especially open fractures)
- Breast reconstruction (implants, DIEP, fat grafts)
- cosmetic surgery:
- abdomen: tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) or liposuction
- breasts: enlargement (with or without implants), lift or reduction
- eyelids: removal of skin or bags (blepharoplasty)
- face and neck: facelift, cheek augmentation
- waist, hips, thighs: liposuction, thigh lift (cruroplasty)
- arms: liposuction, arm lift (brachioplasty)
- ears: otoplasty
- nose: nose reshaping (rhinoplasty)
- buttock: buttock augmentation, with or without implants
- intimate surgery: vaginal labia (labiaplasty), mons pubis