Frequently asked questions
Will the appliances hurt when fitted?
It takes about 2 weeks to get used to the appliances.
- Your teeth will be sore for the first 3 days when eating, especially the most crowded ones.
- You may get sores on the inside of your cheek but after a few days, your cheeks will harden and get used to the appliances.
- Most appliances do not interfere with speech, except for lingual braces which may affect speech for a few days.
Will I be able to live a normal life?
Yes, except in certain aspects, such as:
- Eating: do not eat hard foods (nougat, corn, meat on the bone) or gum.
- Brushing your teeth: you should spend longer than usual brushing your teeth (2 minutes/3 times a day) and use interdental brushes and fluoride mouthwashes.
Do the results last?
After treatment, you should use a retainer, which can be:
- Fixed: lingual archwires, especially in adults.
- Removable: Hawley or Essix