AREAS OF INTEREST:
· Neurobiology and treatment of bipolar disorders.
· New pharmacological and psychological treatments and the effects of psycho-education and the other psychotherapeutic methods in the treatment of bipolar disorder.
· Director of the Bipolar Research Program at the Centro de Investigación en Red de Salud Mental (CIBERSAM).
· Aristotle Award (2005)
· Mogens Schou Award (2007)
· Strategic Research Award of the Sociedad Española de Psiquiatría Biológica (2009)
· Official College of Physicians Award for Professional Excellence (2011)
· Colvin Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Mood Disorders Research by the Brain and Behaviour Research Foundation (2012)
· Clinical Neuroscience Lilly Award by the International College of Neuropsychopharmacology (CINP, 2014)
· Doctor Honoris Causa by the Universitat de València.
· He has published more than 600 articles, 370 book chapters, and 32 books.
· He is on the editorial board of 18 scientific journals.
· He has over 22593 citations (Scopus), which makes him the most cited scientist worldwide in the field of bipolar disorder over the last 5 years and one of the world's most influential scientific minds, according to Thomson Reuters.